Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Chicken and more chicken

Marina here.  So chicken is my comfort zone.  Steak is scary.  Fish is scary.  Pork is scary.  And I love making dessert.  So it's no surprise I'm reporting on 2 chicken dishes:

Last night, I made BC's Tequila Lime Chicken (Family Style book).  Marinated the chicken overnight in tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and a jalapeno pepper.  Side tip: wear gloves when seeding and mincing the jalapeno - otherwise your eyes WILL burn when you take your contacts out :)  Great flavor, very different than I've ever prepared it before.  My problem is I don't think I paired it with the right sides.  I served it with baked sweet potatoes and a spinach salad with BC's lemon vinaigrette dressing (excellent and the easiest dressing to quickly whip up - and when I say "quickly" - I mean less than 3 minutes!!).  But we will definitely make this again and try different sides next time.  Maybe just serve it on the side of a huge margarita!!!

Tonight I made the Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers with Satay Dip from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.  LOVED IT!!!  Greg bbqd it to perfection.  The chicken - very moist and the lemon marinade - so refreshing!  The satay sauce was just right. 
A few "tweaks": we love Montreal Steak seasoning...on everything.  So we added a little of that and it added great flavor.  Also, the Satay dip turned out chunky and I wanted it creamy so after I finished cooking everything, I just threw it in the food processor for a quick minute - perfect texture, for my preference.  Lastly, I almost passed on this recipe because I didn't want to hunt down dark seasame oil (I thought I'd only find it at a specialty ethnic store).  Turns out Trader Joe's carries it.  Love that store!

1 comment:

  1. I had the pleasure of tasting Marina's chicken and Satay. Fabulous- far more impressive than I could have imagined! Plan to serve it as part of a middle eastern style platter with sliced pitas and vegi's soon. I couldn't get enough!

    ReplyDelete