Monday, March 1, 2010

Outrageous Brownies! Outrageously good!

Marina here.

Last night I made BC's Outrageous Brownies recipe from the Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.  They were outrageosly good!  No matter what I've done in the past, the best brownies were always the ones from the Hershey brownie bagged mix.  Hershey - you've been beaten by BC!

Quick notes from my experience, as I need to get ready for work:

  • Used and loved the Trader Joe's semisweet choc. chips and used their dark chocolate instead of the unsweetened chocolate - loved it!  
  • Chopped up the butter and the dark chocolate to assist the melting process.
  • Melting it all together took a little longer than expected...but came out beautifully smooth after about 7 or 8 minutes
  • I didn't use a large enough "large bowl" and ended up having to transfer the whole mixture to a much, much larger bowl :)  

  • I suspect I may have over-baked the brownies, even though the recipe specifically warned not to overbake - they may have been even more moist if I took them out while the toothpick was still just a little bit from clean.
Overall, very pleased with the brownies.  Not as fast as throwing everything together from a bag, but worth the extra effort.



3 comments:

  1. they look wonderful!! did you end up "eyeballing" the chocolate?! i know they say that cooking is the art & baking is a science. but please, you can never have too much chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did eyeball the chocolate and it worked totally fine. I think if it was candy or fudge, maybe it would've been more crucial to get it exactly right. But I do need to invest in a scale. :)

    ReplyDelete