Monday, March 22, 2010

Somethings on the side

Marina here: I've been slacking on reporting on Barefoot Contessa Recipes, so it's time to catch up.  This post is about somethings on the side: Mashed Butternut Squash and Zucchinni with Parmesan.  First the Butternut squash.  I've never been a huge vegetable eater.  So over the past few months, I've been on the hunt of vegetable side dishes.  I've already fallen in love with the mashed rutabegas, but thought two is better than one, right?  Well, the mashed butternut squash didn't quite match up to the begas. 

 They roasted beautifully and the house smelled fantastic when they were done.  I served them with tilapia.  But they were just a little too rich and sweet for my preference.  Both Greg and I really only had about three or four bites.  Also, I felt more like I was eating a dessert than a dinner side, which isn't a bad thing :) just not what I was going for.  So, unless I figure out if there's a better pairing for this side, I'm not sure I'll be making it again.  Although, I could make a small portion and have this be one of several sides...
Another side I got to try was Zucchini with Parmesan (Family Style cookbook).  Excellent.  Greg was also impressed with this dish.  The cheese was a great addition.  And the best part was that it was easy, quick, and all the ingredients were ones I had in my fridge.  Will be making this again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment